Is there gamepad support?

Started by StealthSid, April 04, 2014, 09:37:06 AM

StealthSid

Is there gamepad support in the alpha, planned for release, or not planned at all?

Lurler

Quote from: StealthSid on April 04, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
Is there gamepad support in the alpha, planned for release, or not planned at all?
Not at the moment, no.
We might implement it if we can figure out a reasonable way to do it. The thing is - this game was never designed to support gamepads. There are just too many things you can do and it can't be reasonably mapped to a gamepad. But again, if we figure out a nice way to do it then certainly.

nimh

+1 for this. Partial-gamepad support would be awesome, I don't mind using the mouse/key for interface control. But flying around and combat via controller would be nice.

Embraceuk1

Movement with left analogue stick
Aiming with right analogue stick
Main weapon button 1
Secondary weapon button 2
Mine - button 3
Grapple - button 4
Strafe - left/right bumper
dock/warp/communicate - left trigger
Speed burst - right trigger
Start - pause
Select - inventory

Based on Microsoft/Sony controller

Triggers could be swapped for weapon use

Love to play this using controller and keyboard :)

Embraceuk1

Tiaexz

Quote from: Embraceuk1 on June 01, 2014, 08:47:44 PM
Movement with left analogue stick
Aiming with right analogue stick
Main weapon button 1
Secondary weapon button 2
Mine - button 3
Grapple - button 4
Strafe - left/right bumper
dock/warp/communicate - left trigger
Speed burst - right trigger
Start - pause
Select - inventory

Based on Microsoft/Sony controller

Triggers could be swapped for weapon use

Love to play this using controller and keyboard :)

As a controller lover, I would disagree with some of your keymapping, though when the new Steam-controller comes out, PC gaming as a whole would become easier on one.

Right-Trigger: Gun1
Leftt-Trigger: Gun2
Right-Bumper: Gun3
Communicate/Dock/Grapple: X

That fits the current configuration, from FPS, Platformers, and other styles of games.

If the 'turn at mouse cursor' gets implemented in the other thread. Would make Left-stick forwards/backwards+shafe with Right-Stick being aiming.

Problem comes down to rest of the buttons, as there is cruise, brake and the slots. If we assign the D-Pad to changing the slots (up+down for consumables, left-right for mining/emp/etc.

D-Pad UP/Down: Changing Consumables
D-Pad Left-Right: Changing Modules
Left-Bumper: Using Module
A: Consumable
B: Using Brake

Pressing down Right-Stick: Cruise.
Press down Left-Stick: Lock-on

Select for Menu, Start for Pause.

That currently leaves Y unattended.

daft73

As a 20+year pc user I am appalled at this controller stuff... but the option should probably be there. There is soo much cross-platforming going on. My 15 year old son would have a torrid time learning a game like this with  a keyboard.  ;)

Tiaexz

Quote from: daft73 on June 09, 2014, 10:22:10 AM
As a 20+year pc user I am appalled at this controller stuff... but the option should probably be there. There is soo much cross-platforming going on. My 15 year old son would have a torrid time learning a game like this with  a keyboard.  ;)

Controllers are significantly better for playing a game on, especially with the move from the crowded computer desk in the corner, to having the PC on your 'TV' screen and sitting on a couch, relaxing, chilling and enjoying a few games. So I am typing this on a comfortable couch, the browser is on a 50inch Plasma screen, feet up, and a movable table with a wireless keyboard on so I can type. It sits comfortably in my hand, I am not couching or bending over with face near the screen like it used to be in the olden days. Not really an age thing either, as I am 20+ year as well with my first gaming experience being the Commodore 64.

Problem with controllers is that there was never much native support for them. They always somewhat existed in some fashion but quite a number of games were better with mouse-pinpoint accuracy and this is where the Computer-game market was, RTS, FPS, etc. Platformers, Adventure titles, Fighting games, all came out on the console and were more popular there.

What has happened in the past years that the Computer-Game almost died, it was really on its death-bed due to the rampant issue of piracy and big publishers only releasing the big name titles on the consoles. This resulted in a paradigm shift when these games came to the PC, they came with controller support too and biggest push here was by Microsoft with the Xbox360 controller (which is pretty much the best one too). So a great number of titles ended up supported, there was a 'standard model' and more companies followed suit.

The main reappearance of PC gaming is a result of Steam, done by Valve. They promoted a framework/system which did no rely on horrible having your CD-disk in the drives (which got scratched and broken), easy to keep up to date, and a communication platform and system making multiplayer between you and your friends far easier. One of its biggest successes are the 'sales' revitalising the PC market as people were willing to pay prices which undercut console options.

So whilst controllers tend to fall short in pinpoint-gameplay which the Steam-Controller is meant to be resolving, it does offer a better playing experience overall in my opinion.

daft73

I suppose it is a matter of opinion, I grew up on consoles, Atari 2600, Vectrex, ColicoVision, Nintendo, Super No-Freindo, Ps1-4 Dreamcast ..and so on. For me what changed was moving out, a computer was the better option for a College student in the early 90's..After that no consoles till my oldest was of age.

The market did wane alot, and Steam/WoW type games kept it afloat. No arguments there.
For me a controller works, but not my fav..If I'm going to go do that I'll play Ps4 with my boys 4/15.

So, I can understand the need to have support for controllers..as I mentioned the 2 markets have merged more than not, and cross-platforming is a growing trend. For me an analogy that applies: back when, Musicians for instance generally were competing, not working together...It's just the changing times, highly influenced by the inter-web.

Besides, with all the games I play I doubt the the wife would allow me to hoard the big-screen.. ;D