Galaxy size

Started by kyokei, April 25, 2016, 11:53:49 AM

kyokei

For the devs...

Would it be possible to increase the max Galaxy size even more? I think that Kunix's universe is already finished... a bigger galaxy would make it last a bit longer. Ofcourse regenerating and invading aliens would give the galaxy infinity but that's something for the future maybe :P - Maybe also add more difficulty?

Lurler

Sure, it's possible.

You can create an extremely simple mod for the game where you just put a different number for the number of stars in the galaxy.

Just extract the core.cpk and see what's inside. There are a few other things you can tweak. For example the number of systems owned by each faction (including Xengatarn).

kyokei

Lets say I am able to make that mod that would increase the world size even more and tweak some more things - would this then be a server only mod, or would the clients connecting also need the mod?
My humble guess would be server only

Lurler

Yes, it would be server-only mod. And in fact, after the galaxy is generated you could even disable it completely.

Basically:
1. create a mod
2. add mod to the server
3. generate the galaxy
4. stop the server
5. remove the mod
6. now you have the server with bigger galaxy
7. ???
8. profit?

ai_enabled

Hello!

You don't need to create the mod. You could just extract the core.cpk file (and delete this file), edit a single file in script (see below). Then the game will run with the extracted core.cpk. That's something we've recently implemented to simplify the modding.

You need to edit just a one line of script located at:
(from core.cpk) data\scripts\internal\GenerateGalaxy.js
This line:
NumOfSystems = Math.floor(50 + 50 * (args.galaxy_size / 255));
Replace it with, for example:
NumOfSystems = 300;

Then when you start the new game on the server, it will generate a new galaxy with the specified number of the systems.

So, you don't need to create the mod. Backup core.cpk, extract it into the same folder where core.cpk was located and delete "core.cpk" (so there will be folder "core" or "core.cpk" instead of archive "core"). The game will use the files from the extracted folder.

Regards!

kyokei

Thanks AI - will look at this soon - I'm going to make a huge world on Kunix.
Does making world bigger have an impact on quests?

Lurler

Quote from: kyokei on April 27, 2016, 06:12:11 AM
Thanks AI - will look at this soon - I'm going to make a huge world on Kunix.
Does making world bigger have an impact on quests?
Not directly. But it will affect the faction territory sizes. So I suggest you also look at the faction definitions and tweak these to be better suited for the bigger galaxy size.
I would suggest keeping the faction territories smaller (the size they are now), but making the alien space a bit bigger than now.

kyokei

I increased the galaxy size to 350 - created a single player game and the universe looks nice. Faction zones are as they are normally, alien faction is huge (half the whole galaxy).
Is there a way I can generate the map on kunix with this size while keeping the player saves? Or would I need to wipe it all and start from scratch?

ai_enabled

You need to wipe the server savegame. The quests and characters are linked with the galaxy systems, so it's not possible to change only the systems and keep everything else.

Regards!

ninekorn

I know this topic is old. but i cant find the core.apk to extract scripts and modify the Galaxy Size. Can anyone help? thank you.

Edit: nevermind... Windows wouldn't let me use the start menu search to find the file. Went in file explorer and found it. Thank you!

ninekorn

i got another question... is it possible to generate a galaxy over 700 star systems? i was able to generate a 700 but would like something closer to 10000 star systems to start off?

ai_enabled

ninekorn, there is no limit implemented. But the game was not designed to handle that massive amount of stars. The galaxy has fixed size (say, 2000x2000 abstract units) and bigger stars count means they will be more densely located with very little padding between them. You can experiment but it seems going over 400 makes galaxy view window looks too dense and the displayed names of the stars will be hardly readable.

ninekorn

Thank you for the fast Response AI-Enabled! I was able to create a 2800 star System on my computer. But saving the game takes from 10-20 seconds each times it saves. I decided to lower the number to 2000 star Systems and it seems to run quite fast. But now i cannot see the whole galaxy in the map when i press "N". I can only see a part of the galaxy... I was wondering will the map scroll to my position when i reach the edge of the map or i need to fiddle in a script to do that? if anyone knows i would really love to know thank you! I might post this somewhere else but i felt the subject was related.

computer specs are:
8gb 1600 ram
960gtx nvidia video card
fx-8320e cpu
240gb a400 Kingston ssd
Msi motherboard for oc