Micro freeze when pressing the shift key

Started by Jay Lesis, March 19, 2022, 05:58:10 AM

Jay Lesis

This might seem like a small issue but trust me, it ain't. I have noticed that sometimes when you press the shift key the game freezes for a solid half a second. This applies to when trying to sprint or quickly move items in the inventory. I tried to rebind the shift key for something else and the problem persisted. This is really annoying, please find a fix for this.

ai_enabled

Hello!
0.5s freeze is not a micro-stuttering but rather a serious freeze. Of course, if there was an actual issue with the game we would have noticed it long ago. I don't recall any reports of this issue since the game was released in 2015. We've played the game ourselves and never encountered it too (I've just run it and tried pressing Shift while flying as well as in the inventory menu, no stuttering whatsoever).
It's reasonable to assume there is something else causing the issue in your case. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions except the usual steps (update the drivers, check third-party software that might interfere with the same).

Regards!

Jay Lesis

Thank you for your reply. I tried updating my drivers and closed some non-essential software, nothing helped. I think there is something wrong with the game, given the fact that the problem kept arising even when I tried re-mapping the sprint key. I've now noticed that if I press the sprint key 2-3 times, the game freezes for up to a whole second. So yeah, 'tis no micro freeze :/

ai_enabled

A "Sprint" key? Hmm, the topic is created in VoidExpanse forum section (the game we've released in 2015) but now I realize that you're probably writing about CryoFall. Please confirm!
CryoFall has much more advanced logging which can at least help us to narrow the subsystem where the freeze happens. Please send us the game logs at support@atomictorch.com
The logs folder location: Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/CryoFall/Logs

Regards!

Jay Lesis

My bad on not specifying the game. This problem of mine happens in Cryofall. I've now sent you the logs.

ai_enabled

Thank you for the log files.
I've replied to the email. Please check your inbox/spam folder.

Regards!

ai_enabled

Thank you for your replies over email!

For anyone curious about the issue:
The issue was caused by OneDrive syncing the files to the cloud whenever the game written anything to the drive (it saves "sprint toggle" value, camera zoom value, etc user preferences).
The solution is to relocate the game data folder from OneDrive to a different location.

Regards!