Ship movement

Started by kyokei, May 14, 2014, 12:53:48 PM

kyokei

Hiya,

Didn't see a post about this one yet.

So I bought VoidExpanse today, am absolutely loving it.
First thing which directly really really bugged me is the ship movement, now let me explain.

Turning and so on feels quite ok but the accelerate and move back really doesn't. It feels way too arcady and way too fast for a big ship being in space.
Then you have the cruise control, which when you press S goes to an immediate stop. Now that saved me a few times but I should actually have crashed into the space station.

Is anything going to be done about this because I feel that 1) it makes the game feel like an arcade game when it's clearly a not and 2) it makes the game way way way too fast.

Anyone else feel the same?

Lurler

You are flying light ships and they have gravitational dapmening allowing them to perform such maneuvers.
But when you buy a bigger ship, let's say a Hammer (heavy cruiser) you will feel the full power of the enertia :)

Delcien

Never really had a problem with the ship movement, but I think its because I got use to hitting the immediate stop button every time I got near to a jumpgate or space stations, it became almost automatic.
Maybe a future 'stabilizer' ship upgrade (or mod) might help get a bit more control over the bigger ships... but I just accepted it as being a side effect of driving the biggest ship in town. :)

DLirry

And I just want to add, that if you don't like "official" physics, you can always create a mod, that will change it!
Modding allows player to change almost everything about physics (except for some key game mechanics) - dampening, breaking, acceleration etc.
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection

kyokei

Quote from: Lurler on May 14, 2014, 10:30:19 PM
You are flying light ships and they have gravitational dapmening allowing them to perform such maneuvers.
But when you buy a bigger ship, let's say a Hammer (heavy cruiser) you will feel the full power of the enertia :)

I mean you are the expert but it feels silly that after being on cruise my ship stops in a split second.. shouldn't it stop with a little after slide kind of effect?

And what about the game speed? I feel like it's slightly too fast when you take into account the way the aiming works. For me it sometimes feels like it goes so fast that you seem to be flying round and round an enemy ship... This could ofcourse also just be me :P

daft73

Quote from: DLirry on May 15, 2014, 03:35:39 AM
And I just want to add, that if you don't like "official" physics, you can always create a mod, that will change it!
Modding allows player to change almost everything about physics (except for some key game mechanics) - dampening, breaking, acceleration etc.
This is an important point. The community can start to devise new ideas, once these start...the exchange of ideas will blossom into new game concepts, taking some of the load off. All for it.

Lurler

Quote from: daft73 on May 15, 2014, 09:35:38 AM
This is an important point. The community can start to devise new ideas, once these start...the exchange of ideas will blossom into new game concepts, taking some of the load off. All for it.
That was the idea! We wanted to create not only a game, but a framework upon which anyone can create almost anything else, or even a completely new game.