How to disable mod on non server in mod service?

Started by FelixYu, May 25, 2021, 03:56:25 AM

FelixYu

I run a PVE mod server and have unpacked the core.cpk. But in this case, some players use the automatic mod that destroys the game experience. How can I disable it without affecting other mods on the server?

ai_enabled

Hello!

Please let us know what kind of mod the players are using. As the game server is designed in such a way that prevents clients from actually hacking the game. Players can automate picking up resources and few other actions with automaton mod (https://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=1097.0) but it's not harmful as this mod cannot do anything that players cannot do themselves without it. It's just a convenience mod.

If you wish to forbid usage of any mods by the connected clients, we have a special server setting for this https://wiki.atomictorch.com/CryoFall/Server/Setup#How_to_prohibit_client_modifications it's generally used on PvP servers only to give players peace of mind that their opponents cannot have any advantage through client modifications.

Regards!

FelixYu

Quote from: ai_enabled on May 25, 2021, 05:45:18 AM
Hello!

Please let us know what kind of mod the players are using. As the game server is designed in such a way that prevents clients from actually hacking the game. Players can automate picking up resources and few other actions with automaton mod (https://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=1097.0) but it's not harmful as this mod cannot do anything that players cannot do themselves without it. It's just a convenience mod.

If you wish to forbid usage of any mods by the connected clients, we have a special server setting for this https://wiki.atomictorch.com/CryoFall/Server/Setup#How_to_prohibit_client_modifications it's generally used on PvP servers only to give players peace of mind that their opponents cannot have any advantage through client modifications.

Regards!
This option can't solve the problem that I have at present. My server is currently set to a 10x mod server, and I have also modified some of the content for the core.cpk unpacking. But some players use automatic collection, which is unfair to other players. So do you want to add the server and client mod matching, and disable the mod option prohibited by the server?

ai_enabled

Thank you for your reply.
If your server doesn't require a client mod to join and play on it, you can enable the option I've mentioned above ("<no_client_mods>" setting). It will prohibit all client modifications but the server still can have unpacked Core.cpk or server mods.

QuoteBut some players use automatic collection
Do you mean the "automaton" mod? On an x10 server? I wonder who actually needs this as the inventory gets filled up very quickly and players never need THAT many twigs, stones, grass, etc.
Again, we don't actually see any harm with this mod as it can't do anything that players cannot do themselves by clicking quickly in the game. It's a convenience mod. But I realize that some players may disagree with me, or simply prefer to have peace of mind that no other players are using any mods on their server.

QuoteSo do you want to add the server and client mod matching
We're not planning to implement this as it will be trivial to hack and will also make the client overall prone to hacking. Our current security approach (when the server forbids client modifications) works in a different way and ensures that the client is running 100% original code without any modifications. There are layers of protection and validation to ensure this. By design, it's not compatible with the idea of supporting any client modifications.

Regards!

FelixYu

Quote from: ai_enabled on May 26, 2021, 06:48:59 AM
Thank you for your reply.
If your server doesn't require a client mod to join and play on it, you can enable the option I've mentioned above ("<no_client_mods>" setting). It will prohibit all client modifications but the server still can have unpacked Core.cpk or server mods.
Do you mean the "automaton" mod? On an x10 server? I wonder who actually needs this as the inventory gets filled up very quickly and players never need THAT many twigs, stones, grass, etc.
Again, we don't actually see any harm with this mod as it can't do anything that players cannot do themselves by clicking quickly in the game. It's a convenience mod. But I realize that some players may disagree with me, or simply prefer to have peace of mind that no other players are using any mods on their server.
We're not planning to implement this as it will be trivial to hack and will also make the client overall prone to hacking. Our current security approach (when the server forbids client modifications) works in a different way and ensures that the client is running 100% original code without any modifications. There are layers of protection and validation to ensure this. By design, it's not compatible with the idea of supporting any client modifications.

Regards!
Because my server has modified the backpack capacity by unpacking core.cpk, and the capacity has been expanded to 120 grids, and the doubling rate of items is the maximum multiple that can be set by the server configuration. In this way, players using automaton mod will have unfair operation for other normal players. And in my server, I set up a trading box for recycling materials to provide gold coins to players. That's why I need a way to prevent players from using mods that are not run by the server. This kind of automatic mods will greatly destroy the p-relationship between players

ai_enabled

I see. That's an unsual approach, but I understand that some players may like the idea.

If your server doesn't require a client mod to join it, you can certainly enable "<no_client_mods>" server setting that will prevent clients from using any mods when joining your server.

Regards!

FelixYu

Quote from: ai_enabled on May 26, 2021, 10:43:02 AM
I see. That's an unsual approach, but I understand that some players may like the idea.

If your server doesn't require a client mod to join it, you can certainly enable "<no_client_mods>" server setting that will prevent clients from using any mods when joining your server.

Regards!
The reason for these changes is that the content of the game is too little now, and the average player has no desire to play after less than 20 hours of game time.