Started by BeLugh, August 13, 2014, 10:33:37 AM

BeLugh

Game version: 0.9.5
Game mode: SP/MP
Bug Location: Modification
Steps to Reproduce: Copy any lvl 0 skill, rename xml, rename id ->crash
Reproduction Rate: 100%
Screenshot: not possible
Bug Description: When you add a new skill (or copy any lvl 0 skill and rename it) and lets have it no requirements the game will not be able to load
->the game just does not know where to place it in the table->crash

Bug was found by Hammish, and got approved by me

Lurler

Hm, it shouldn't be the case... We tried it and it works.
Could you show me the skill XML?
For example include in a post with "code" tag.
Also, if you remove the skill from the mod, but left the rest as is - does it work?

BeLugh

Yes when you remove the skill againbthe mod will work again as well. you only need to copy a skill like asteroid_mining.xml i called it super_mining.xml and changed its id to super_mining and i removed the effects to be sure that it does not interfere with other effects. hammish did not remove effects he still used them and we both got the same error. the game hangs during loading a savegame or creating a new game. the logo starts to fade it and always crashed before the logo is completely faded in. its 100% reproducable.

i iust guess that the script creating the skill trees cant create the position for a new skill when it has no requirements. i did not realize it before hammish as i created m skill tree having all skills basing on asteroid_mining but it should still be possible to create new trees.

Lurler

I can't help unless you show me the specific xml so I can see the contents. It might be something simple that could be easily fixable.

BeLugh

Then it needs to wait 1 day, i am not at home right now and cant access any of the xml's from here.
But the changes on the xml are exactly as i said before. just copy asteroid_mining, rename the fiel to super_mining.xml and change the id to super_mining . maybe even change effects or remove them, but i guess its not needed. And adding this xml to the mod will make it crash as it has no requirements besides level 0

Lurler

No worries, I was able to identify what was causing this issue. Should be fixed in the next patch. Thank you for reporting!

Hammish

Actually, when I tried to create a skill in a subset it appeared to crash for me as well.  I think I tried to make a subskill for basic direct weapons and I got the same crash.  Hopefully the fix works for all skills, and thanks for finding the issue already. :D

Also thanks to BeLugh for posting this in here, under the proper section.  I had been updating it with my trial/error in the mod thread, or in private with him, where it didn't belong. :|

ai_enabled

Hammish

Testing in 0.9.6 Exp, everything seems to work fine with skills now.  Hats off to you guys again. :)

Though now, I'm having trouble creating characters with my mod pack loaded (though they load fine if I create them in generic then just do a load).  Probably just a change I need to find in the files and update to new version.

BeLugh

I also had some problems using my mod with 0.9.6 I had to redo my scripts for effect_definitions_mining , as well as my rescripted quests (whole topics folder)
I was guessing some other fiels corrupted the load as well but if im right that were the only ones i needed to fix

Hammish

I found the fix for mine, actually.  Yay for debugging.

Minor changes to some of the scripting in world creation, it would appear.