What's your favorite ship and why?

Started by Hecter94, August 15, 2014, 01:39:49 PM

Hecter94

Hello everyone! You know what this forum needs? More "game-related" discussion when compared to bug reports, modding documentation and other technical stuff.

So...what's your favorite ship and why do you like it?
My favorite is the Fang, I love it's playstyle and it has incredible damage for a low-tier ship when loaded with 4 MLRS units.
It's my go-to fighter and I like it even more than some of the really heavy ones...which is great considering the lack of serious skill requirements to use it.

All in all, it's a pretty fun ship and I enjoy it a lot. ^.^

BeLugh

My favourite ship is Avalanche MK2 (heavy frigate).
When i've put all my skill point son energy weapons this was so much fun as it has 2 lvl 1 lasers and 1 lvl 2. You can strip down like 20-30 ships before you get out of fuel. And all fights take like 1-3 seconds. Don't forget to upgrade your RCS!!!

Hammish

For playstyle, I'm a fan of the Hammer.  Big, slow and tanky is definitely my style. :)

For looks, probably the Crab overall.  Orca, Endeavor and the new H-Cruiser get points as well just because I love the asymmetrical designs that incorporate flaws.  (Banshee Mk1 is also asymmetrical but the turret coverage means the blind spot is pretty small.  Orcas are just looking for fighters looking to hang out on dat right-hand side!)

Lurler

Have you guys tried the new Aurora class heavy cruiser? I really like it myself, but I gotta agree - I also enjoy playing missile ships such as fang.

Hecter94

I've tried it, but...I'm not much of a fan of big, heavy ships that can barely turn...I prefer my combat fast.

Glass cannons are my favorite type of ship, unit, character etc.
Destroy my enemies really quickly but have to be extremely careful or they'll destroy me first.
It's very fun and tense.

The other ship I can say that I like, is prolly the Endeavor...it's really really easy to get...comes with a missile hardpoint and decent health so it can hold off pirates without too much difficulty....but it's also small, fast and fairly maneuverable with a really really good cargo bay.
It's my preferred mining/trading ship for the early game...and even mid to late game as I find the Freighter just isn't able to adequately defend itself and I don't feel like losing my d to some pirates.

kyokei

The other ship I can say that I like, is prolly the Endeavor...it's really really easy to get...comes with a missile hardpoint and decent health so it can hold off pirates without too much difficulty....but it's also small, fast and fairly maneuverable with a really really good cargo bay.
It's my preferred mining/trading ship for the early game...and even mid to late game as I find the Freighter just isn't able to adequately defend itself and I don't feel like losing my d to some pirates.
This!, I totally agree with this.
When I saw that the Endeavor was added to the game, I was so happy. This ship is the perfect early game trading/mining ship.
The Freighter these days just feel so so weak and I still find we need a more end game trader/mining ship with more mining slots and a little more firepower, as in better level weapons.

Hecter94

Quote from: kyokei on August 18, 2014, 06:09:14 AM
This!, I totally agree with this.
When I saw that the Endeavor was added to the game, I was so happy. This ship is the perfect early game trading/mining ship.
The Freighter these days just feel so so weak and I still find we need a more end game trader/mining ship with more mining slots and a little more firepower, as in better level weapons.

I believe I mentioned this in another thread, but I would love the idea of a supermassive "Planet Cracker" ship.
We're talking like, 3000 cargo, 5-6 slots for mining lasers, superheavy mining lasers hard-mounted on the front.

Something that could just....stripmine entire asteroid fields in a matter of minutes.

Could even be like...a quest associated with it, even some backstory like....
Maybe this ship had been built back on earth...and had come with the rest of the fleet to wipe out the Alien threat, it was a prototype Planet Cracker ship and it's role was, after the planetary defenders had been destroyed, to carve up and devour the Alien planet from orbit...allowing us to safely harvest any rare minerals or technology from them that might have been below the surface of the planet while also avoiding a lengthy and expensive ground war.

BeLugh

You will need to wait for later versions of miners heaven :D this week i got no time for modding, but in a few months you will be able to play that ship, just wait ;)

Hecter94

Quote from: BeLugh on August 19, 2014, 12:34:40 PM
You will need to wait for later versions of miners heaven :D this week i got no time for modding, but in a few months you will be able to play that ship, just wait ;)
AWESOME!

I'm totally hyped for that now.
Get in mah belly, you yummy yummy asteroids.

Elcs

There doesn't seem to be a ship configuration that suits my gameplay yet.

The Avalanche Mk2 is pretty hilarious with 3 Pulse Lasers, 2 x T1 and 1 x T2. Zoooooommmmm Zap Zap dead.

Fang is probably my favourite so far, even if I cannot find the last LRM T1 to make me all symmetrical.

RavenFellBlade

I'm digging the Endeavor. Sure, it's not really a great fighter, but it DOES have quite a lot of cargo space, it doesn't cost much, and with the right equips, it gets around just fine. I've turned mine into quite the mining rig, with just a touch of "oh, so you're all alone out here, Mr. Space Miner? You're cargo is mine, now!" piracy to make me happy. If you tweak up your turret tracking and maneuvering skills, the Endeavor is a right fine ship.
I am very much in agreement that we need a higher-tier mining/trading/engineering/industrial-type craft with greater cargo capacity, lots of equips, and only a couple of weapon slots, for those of us who wish to live the life of a space miner. I need my space miner bling ship!
The funny thing about space is that there's actually quite a lot of it.

rockdasymphony

I'm loving the fang with the 4 rocket multi launcher in every slot. 1 - 2 shots and i kill anything up to level 15, 15 shots and i can take out death bringers. e_e

RavenFellBlade

The only real problem with the fang is that you're really tethered to stations. Any kind of "large scale" combat is going to be hampered by a constant need to re-arm your weapons. I haven't really noticed this as a problem yet, though, as I haven't been involved in an engagement where I ran out of missiles before I ran out of enemies. It might be a possibility on longer voyages, so you may end up needing to pitstop. Still, if that's the ships "weakness", there's not really much wrong with it. I'm thinking about messing around with mods myself just to make a nuke-equipped Fang. Sure, it will only have four rounds, and two will be fired simultaneously... but it will seriously destroy anything that messes with it.
The funny thing about space is that there's actually quite a lot of it.

Lurler

Quote from: rockdasymphony on December 11, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
I'm loving the fang with the 4 rocket multi launcher in every slot. 1 - 2 shots and i kill anything up to level 15, 15 shots and i can take out death bringers. e_e
I assume you are referring to these small multi-launch missiles with good tracking?
In that case - yes, these are great to use, but they have an extremely limited damage potential.
So, you have to choose either more damage or guaranteed hits :)

Quote from: RavenFellBlade on December 12, 2014, 08:16:37 AM
The only real problem with the fang is that you're really tethered to stations. Any kind of "large scale" combat is going to be hampered by a constant need to re-arm your weapons.
Not really, actually. You can simply equip ammo restock consumables. And you can take a bunch of these with you. Though you will need to advance your engineering skills to use them.

Hecter94

Playing with the BTC mod, I've been enjoying the Boomerang Ship loaded with Photon Torpedoes.

They're quite powerful, making the ship almost "fang-like" but it removes the need to constantly replenish your ammo as long as you have enough fuel in your reactor to continue producing energy.

You can sometimes run into issues when in a heated firefight, but as long as you choose your targets carefully and have a good reactor you should do well.