Tips and Hints

Started by MGS, May 28, 2020, 02:34:38 PM

MGS

It would be really cool if you can add any hints and tips here and please stay on topic.

I will add more when i remember or if i come across something useful.. in no particular order.

* It goes without saying for a complete beginner do as much of the quests as you can to get the general gist of the game.

* because the cryofall wiki is lacking right now, the CNEI mod IMO is a Very useful tool and a must have mod.

* when there is an event, if you hover over it on the minimap it shows how many items have been claimed. This is good as sometimes people dont go to the far to reach ones especially when there is a low player count. Also its good data to let you know if its worth the trip, if you are far and 1 item has already been claimed then it may not be worth the trip.

* this next one surprisingly a lot of people dont know... you can prioritise build order by left clicking on an item in the queue

* if your hover board or mech is 'in the world' or ' in garage' you can summon it to your garage or a garage on another claim or allies claim. Note: you cannot summon if its standing on garage.

* you can sell hoverboards and mechs by adding an owner and then the owner can delete you, take payment first !

* hover boards travel faster on roads

* trading stations are better situated across roads as the most traffic is on roads.

* if your gameplay time is limited and you cant grind the LP, a good tip is to leave vehicle bays till end game. Pay someone you trust the parts to build a vehicle bay and hoverboard/mech for you.

* on topic of LP , early game hunting is a great way. Make 4 -5 machettes and go on a killing spree. Except for Swamp Queen, Floaters, Fire Lizard and Scorpion everything can be kited melee

* to kite, attack from southern direction, different creature have different timings. E.g for prag beetles you need to be running. Thanks to Maom_see for informing me of this.

* if the cloaked lizard annoys you at mines early game, have him chase you, manipulate his movements so that you are north side of an ore node and he is south, he will attack through the rock but can't hit you. You can melee him in this postion without taking damage however you cant kill him as he runs. Dont chase him as bites even in retreat unless you have a bullet or two to spare.

* cheese is a great way to earn LP and most players main source however with everything there are diminishing return to LP however cheese still gives good LP even at skill level 20

*is your claim close to a rad town ? Abuse the crap out of that loot, hit it often !

* Tinkering an oft ignored aspect of the game. Make a storage box and throw all your 1-3% item in their early game. Dont throw them away !  Mid to late game its very easy to make duct tape. I have a box with all my item in need of repair and i craft 100 duct tape in their aswell. Best time to repair is with the well rested buff. A high maintenance skill is invaluable with t4 items...

* the Fire Lizard and Scorpion can be manipulated to become trapped behind terrain. They alway make a bee line and if they hit an object and you are in that bee line they will become trapped by said object, even something as small as a prag node and the blast away from a safe distance. In rad towns you can do the same thing with the crumbled edge if a wall, once trapped you can shoot from the side

* when planting a dynamite at a pragmium spire, once planted keep running in the opposite direction until you hear the second louder explosion.

* the fire lizard can be tricky and alway tries to close in on you. I have noticed you can predict his ranged attack... he makes a sound before shooting , if you can get the timing right you can side step his shot by strafing left or right ( with run enabled) at the right time. The closer he is the harder this is to do.

* floaters from the event are a great source of LP, they also drop rubber and other loot.

Ultum

Great thread, looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

1. You can click on the event notification to remove it from your view (unfortunately, you cannot do this with your questline)

2. Alt + Right click will drop an item on the ground

3. Keep all the fiber you get, forever, you'll thank me later

4. Once your helmet is fueled, 'f' will turn the light on and off

5. Cheese...as said above, can't say it enough

6. For Fuel production, it helps to have at least 1 Engine Generator powering 4 Advanced oil Pumps, with 2 Oil Refiners (I'm open to feedback on this one) and keep your original Steam Generator as back up, 1 Solar Generator for a second back up is nice as well.

7. Quick Travel - Make sure you have one bed where you want to respawn (can only do this with one bed) and take off your gear.  Now find a predator, boom...you're home.

8. Automaton mod (note, without the 'i') is very handy but some also consider it cheaty

9. Place Trading Stations as far apart as possible (until this is fixed) as they cannot be viewed clearly on the map if too close