Trying to make sensse of the position values of weapon mounts

Started by loudent, April 25, 2015, 11:36:45 AM

loudent

Hey All,

I'm trying to make sense of the position values for weapon slot on ships. there are positive and negative values so I can only assume 0,0 is the center? But what do the values represent? Most of the values are less than 1 so I though perhaps it was percentage of distance from center but there some values over 1 so that doesn't make sense.

Looking at the Stingray MK2 where the third weapon slot is along the center line I see the second value (usually Y) is 0.0 so I'm assuming the ships are oriented point left or right rather than up or down.

There's scale factor so perhaps the values are a vector and you multiply the scale.

anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,
-Loudent

Ohfive30

Loudent,

I've written some notes on how it all works as I was making models for VE. I've remade them in a more readable format in an image.I hope it might help out anyone who's building / editing ships for VE.

if you need to get positions on a particular hull, your best bet is to get hold of something like blender, import the ship obj file and then get the co-ordinates from there.
I believe you can also use the physics adjuster tool that ATS have made to get positions, however, I had to install MS Visual Studio before it would load an obj file.

here's the info I've gathered, this is all from my own observations, and seems to work out.

loudent

Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking the same thing but it appears that there are some offsets greater than 1 (-1.142 in the case of one). Not sure how that fits in.

Ohfive30

it just means that point is that far away from the origin of the model. You don't need to keep the values between 0 and 1, As far as I can tell the only trouble with models larger than about 2 units would be getting them in to the dock.

MenschMaschine

No Berries!