Fishing

Started by Ultum, June 30, 2020, 09:59:40 PM

Ultum

Let's talk fishing.

First off, thank you so much for your continued development, time and communication with this game.  I was very excited about A27 but am a bit concerned the wall to enter fishing is a bit steep.

I'm open to discussion and don't want to give an spoilers away, but perhaps there's a way to let us get into T2 fishing without relying so much on the first bait.

One thought was perhaps we could gather worms from clay?  Perhaps that's a stretch, but we get them from dirt in real life?

Another would be a chance of worms in grass, just like seeds?

Lurler

Actually it's very easy to get the first bait. You can just kill crawlers on the mountains and get the meat from there. There are also other very easy monsters where you can get that meat from. So far we haven't really heard anyone having difficulties accessing it. Plus, currently everyone is rushing the fishing to try it out so it feels more difficult when it actually is, if you just play the game normally :)

Thanks for your feedback either way!

Ultum

My apologies, I guess I'm actually a bit embarrassed I even posted this comment.  I had read the following in Discord from ai_enabled.

"We really need your feedback this time. This update will determine the future of the entire project. So, please give experimental a go and let us know what you think about all of the changes and all of the new content."

Good luck to you and your game.

ai_enabled

Please don't be embarrassed, your feedback is valuable!
We just need to measure how severe this issue and whether it's because people are rushing to fishing or because the drop amount of insect meat is too low or the bait recipe is too expensive.
The more opinions we get the more data we have to analyze and make the right decisions.

Regards!

Ultum

Thanks ai.  I really appreciate that, yes I was excited to fish, but requiring insect meat puts a bit more RNG gathering onto something I might at least be able to try now.

I was thinking of farming, where you already have at least one seed from grass, by the time you unlock farming, so you can start experiencing it right away, even if it takes a little time to grow.

The bait tiers are the right approach though, so there is something to work towards.

Caninicus

Well, I'm 6 hours into A27 (experimental) and just found my first piece of REDACTED that can be used for bait. Not sure if this is how it was intended. I neither rushed towards nor avoided the creatures that I knew dropped said REDACTED, but played as I normally would. I admit, not having bait, did push me away from choosing tech that would have allowed fishing, and I do normally build my bases near water. I collected it just as I logged off, so I stuck it in the fridge, but even refrigerated, these things don't last long, and by the time I actually unlock the tech to use it, I'm guessing it will have spoiled.

Normally, the only way I ever found to get such items in quantity was during prag hunting, and they were always half spoiled by the time I got back to my base, so they usually ended up in the mulch box or bioreactor along with whatever bears got too close.

Lurler

Thank you Ultum and Caninicus for your continued feedback. We are still testing things in experimental and we might be open to change the balance a bit. Including the crafting of the first bait for fishing. But let's just see how it plays for a bit longer and gather a bit more feedback.