Testing STEAM version

Started by Lurler, October 28, 2014, 03:48:07 AM

FlessenGreendart

Hey, quick crash report for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0px5xxpb71q3nn/AABZpeAgBsOpwA8YbIgUYJFLa?dl=0

Played for a few hours, died, and ctd instead of respawning  :P

ai_enabled

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on November 27, 2014, 03:39:41 PMHey, quick crash report for you
Thanks for reporting! Fixed!

Is seems we've fixed all reported issues, including Linux build freezes problems. Going to release new Steam test build today!

Lurler

Just updated the Steam version of the game (all 3: win, mac, linux).

Please, do another round of testing! This time should be more stable, and definitely MORE stable on linux.

Valkor

Quote from: Lurler on November 28, 2014, 03:38:27 AM
Just updated the Steam version of the game (all 3: win, mac, linux).

Please, do another round of testing! This time should be more stable, and definitely MORE stable on linux.
Totally playable! Until I go to distribute stat points. Crashes as soon as I hit the + next to a skill.
http://pastebin.com/2cshS8TF
Other than that no problems so far!

FlessenGreendart

Small one: conversation not progressing - Freedom quest - "Protect Boris" (freedom_quest_ricco_protection.js)
Ask Boris "Where can I find these guys?" - no response
The other response (which I won't quote for spoiler reasons) works properly, and advances the quest fine.

kyokei

Can't get the game started on my mac, can you remind me where to find the logs on Mac?

FlessenGreendart

Also stumbled across "Test Character Name" a few times. A mysterous character  :P

ai_enabled

Quote from: kyokei on November 28, 2014, 03:31:01 PM
Can't get the game started on my mac, can you remind me where to find the logs on Mac?
It is located at "~/Library/Logs/Unity/" file Player.log. No problems running the game on my MacBook Retina.

FlessenGreendart, thanks for reporting! Some quests are still broken, we decided to push this update to verify the other reported issues has been fixed.
"Test character name" is very strange issue, will try to reproduce and fix it.

ai_enabled

Quote from: Valkor on November 28, 2014, 05:42:44 AMTotally playable! Until I go to distribute stat points. Crashes as soon as I hit the + next to a skill.
http://pastebin.com/2cshS8TF
Other than that no problems so far!
Thanks for reporting! How often the crash happens? Could you upload the client log please? The log file you've provided is the local game server log and it doesn't contain any crash information. The client log located somewhere at ~/.config/unity3d/ (Player.log file, unfortunately we're unable to write it into "Logs" folder yet).

Valkor

Quote from: ai_enabled on November 28, 2014, 08:39:27 PM
Thanks for reporting! How often the crash happens? Could you upload the client log please? The log file you've provided is the local game server log and it doesn't contain any crash information. The client log located somewhere at ~/.config/unity3d/ (Player.log file, unfortunately we're unable to write it into "Logs" folder yet).
http://pastebin.com/8mLkf2NP
Good to know! Here ya go! Unfortunately I don't see anything that looks like a stack trace in that. I haven't played since the aforementioned crash.

kyokei

Hey AI,

Here are the logs: https://cloud.kunix.org/public.php?service=files&t=f2ecc34ba6c02ffbcf1ae34cc05db1d5

I am running the Macbook pro retina 2014 version. I5 2.6ghz, 8gb ram, intel iris 1536mb, OSX Yosemite

What happens is that steam says I am playing VoidExpanse but no screen ever opens, and then steams says I am play no game anymore.
When I click play it shows for 1 sec the screen preparing to play VE and then it disappears.
I am redownloaded, verified integrity etc

ai_enabled

Quote from: Valkor on November 29, 2014, 01:04:28 AM
http://pastebin.com/8mLkf2NP
Good to know! Here ya go! Unfortunately I don't see anything that looks like a stack trace in that. I haven't played since the aforementioned crash.
Hmm, looks like some kind of "random" bug, we can't reproduce it whatever we do... If it happens again, please send us logs and screenshots of any exception/stacktrace message.
BTW, I noticed FPS is horrible low - have you tried decreasing the screen resolution? At 1280x720 it should run much better. Also playing with the frame limit (V-Sync) setting may greatly improve performance - on Mac & Linux the V-Sync is often broken, reducing FPS too much... so better to keep the frame limit setting on "60 FPS" (or "30 FPS" for not-so-new laptops to reduce excessive heat).

ai_enabled

Quote from: kyokei on November 29, 2014, 01:23:23 AM
What happens is that steam says I am playing VoidExpanse but no screen ever opens, and then steams says I am play no game anymore.
When I click play it shows for 1 sec the screen preparing to play VE and then it disappears.
I am redownloaded, verified integrity etc
I've tested the game now on my Mac for several hours and yes, I reproduced this issue. I need to say the Unity is so unstable on Mac... usually it works (especially if the game started without any problem - then it usually works flawlessly, that's why I think the game was stable enough...), but freezes happens often upon quit, or process remains opened after quit (but no window/screen present). The only way to fix it now - kill "VoidExpanse" process from the Process Monitor application and start it again from Steam.
BTW, we decided to remove the "retina" mode on Mac as it requires "old fullscreen overlay" Unity setting, which is incompatible with Steam overlay features, and you cannot switch on another applications while playing (this also became a very big problem if the game freezes!). Shame on Unity they're still not supporting retina resolutions on "windowed" Unity setting on Mac... in Windows it works right of the box (and with much better FPS).
Hope we can improve stability on Mac in next build.

kyokei

Quote from: ai_enabled on November 29, 2014, 09:04:21 AM
I've tested the game now on my Mac for several hours and yes, I reproduced this issue. I need to say the Unity is so unstable on Mac... usually it works (especially if the game started without any problem - then it usually works flawlessly, that's why I think the game was stable enough...), but freezes happens often upon quit, or process remains opened after quit (but no window/screen present). The only way to fix it now - kill "VoidExpanse" process from the Process Monitor application and start it again from Steam.
BTW, we decided to remove the "retina" mode on Mac as it requires "old fullscreen overlay" Unity setting, which is incompatible with Steam overlay features, and you cannot switch on another applications while playing (this also became a very big problem if the game freezes!). Shame on Unity they're still not supporting retina resolutions on "windowed" Unity setting on Mac... in Windows it works right of the box (and with much better FPS).
Hope we can improve stability on Mac in next build.

Well whatever I try I can't get it to work... any other tips?

Valkor

Quote from: ai_enabled on November 29, 2014, 08:49:31 AM
Hmm, looks like some kind of "random" bug, we can't reproduce it whatever we do... If it happens again, please send us logs and screenshots of any exception/stacktrace message.
BTW, I noticed FPS is horrible low - have you tried decreasing the screen resolution? At 1280x720 it should run much better. Also playing with the frame limit (V-Sync) setting may greatly improve performance - on Mac & Linux the V-Sync is often broken, reducing FPS too much... so better to keep the frame limit setting on "60 FPS" (or "30 FPS" for not-so-new laptops to reduce excessive heat).

It isn't random for me, every single time I click + it will crash. Sometimes it will crash just by opening that tab. Sometimes the clicking-of-+ will actually save and then crash. Since it isn't in the logs I'm guessing it isn't getting a chance to log the crash. Bummer.

As for FPS, no it's absolutely perfect when playing. During that particular session I did a lot of multitasking and switching windows. There was an entire half hour or so where it was running while i was compiling crap. I'd be willing to bet that those performance printouts happened while I wasn't playing.

So as a workaround is there a way to remove the skill requirements or give the skills by way of pilot save editing? I've played up until I can get a nice ship & fits but I can't pilot it.