Breaching the Core Full Mod Discussion

Started by Hammish, June 27, 2014, 10:11:17 AM

Syrophir

Thanks for the update! :)

Something that has been bothering me though is that certain ship hulls open their tip upwards instead of downwards making it impossible to see the actual stats I'm interested in. I'm not sure if that is mod related or something the game engine just does when some stars align but just wanted to point this out.

Also repair modules currently require engineering 2, have vanilla icons and are sold in pretty much everywhere. Can't be used at all, not sure if this was intentional.

Hammish

Repair modules are just a recent addition to vanilla that I haven't parsed in to BTC yet; it's probably the most challenging aspect of running a full-conversion style thing, adapting to all the cool new stuff that is added. :)  In 1.8.2 I'll make sure that I at least adjust them to use a BTC skill, though, and then work on a final version for them in 1.8.3 (which is when I'm slated to do the skill/module/booster stuff)

So far as the tooltips, though, I'm pretty sure that's all handled by the UI in-game and not something I can adjust freely.

Also, here is a gift for everyone: a picture of the new Persephone skin, military-refit version.  It has a much better angle on the twin energy turrets (one above, one below) and the drones it has fly out of the bays near the back along the sides, while it has the same boosts/penalties of all carriers (-50% lock speed but +50% lock range to keep your prey locked in.)  I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. :)

Hammish

v1.8.2 released with the new ships and ship physics; please, check it out!  Also has a new class and some minor stat tweaks, as always please report any bugs you encounter.

Sadly I couldn't get the repair module changes into 1.8.2, but that's okay.  1.8.3 won't take nearly as long I hope, and it should include the BTC version of the hull repair in addition to the shield repair module (better for combat situations) and possibly a few new goodies.  I've always wanted to make a fuel scoop that would effectively EMP your ship for a bit while you refuel in space, but I don't know if I can work the code adequately.  First two are in for sure in 1.8.3 though, as will the final tweaks to the skill system and various non-weapon gear (expect further decreases in performance from piloting skills, currently if you max piloting and get the best engine/RCS you can pull off some crazy shit.)

jeeplaw

Is this mod now compatible with the steam release?

Hammish

Not quite yet.  Working on getting the mod up to snuff with the new graphics code (it's a damned big mod, so there is a ton to adjust in terms of how the projectiles display to get them how I want them).  v2.0 will be the Steam version and I'll go from there.

Currently I have the new energy and missile weapons all wrapped up.  Hulls and hull skins should be good to go as well, which just leaves ballistic weapons to rework and I should have a test version good to go that is compatible with VE 1.1/Steam release.  After that will come balancing as more people test it out, then the addition of additional expansion modules for ships and eventually class expansion.

Hammish

Okay!  It's not -fully- updated yet, but I'm happy enough with it that I'll put up a test link here.  Welcome to the alpha for BTC 2.0. :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e59cg3vxnovac1o/BTC200.zip?dl=0

Please, go ahead and snag it, give it a try!  This is mostly just an update for the weapons thus far, with new particle visual effects.  Over the next few days I'll be stripping out the remainder of the vanilla items that are newly-added, putting back in the BTC expansion modules and devices, and providing the BTC weapons/hulls to the bad guys in the universe.  Please DO provide me with whatever feedback you'd like; in particular I really need people's opinions on the flight modeling at higher levels and general thoughts on the weapons; what seems to be overpowered or underpowered, ect.

Thanks in advance!

Hammish

Reserving for a list of known issues with BTC 2.0.0.

1) Ballistic weapons on the carrier module drones not properly updated to new particle effects.
2) Some residual modules slipping through from vanilla VE.
3) Shockwave cannon removed until it can be reworked into something less-clunky.
4) MLRS turret model needs some detailing on the skin. :)

Hammish

Updated to v2.0.1 for some omni-hardpoint goodness.  Mostly on top-end hulls, though.  Hey, it's experimental tech!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmyw9jz27qknwru/BTC201.zip?dl=0

Hammish

Need an opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/epw9HdO.png

How's that look for the new hull icon type?

jeeplaw

I like the icon, but it's too jaggy in terms of resolution. Can you post a higher resolution icon?

Hammish

I could, but that's pretty much the WYSIWYG icon and the resolution that you'd generally see it in-game if you're running at 1920x1040.

Farseer Wraith

It looks like the Hades Class destroyer has a pair of level 3 turrets that have a 0 on their traverse rate.

They are stuck pointing in one direction. >.<

Hammish

Yep, this was reported over on the Steam site for the mod and should be fixed in the upcoming BTC 2.1. :)

For the record, I've been moving a lot of my development over to the Steam page for the mod.  Feel free to pop in there and leave comments there as well to make sure I see them quickly, I have a bug-reporting section all set up.  Figure I'm going to need it with the armor-system changes in 2.1 and how ambitious they are. >.>

DragonKnight

I've playing with a Hades destroyer and some Tachyon beams. Its ridiculously powerful, to the point where firing just 2 out of 4 beams is enough to one-shot a hive. Feels overpowered and not quite balanced.

Hammish

Yeah, that's because aliens haven't gotten the NPC treatment yet.  S'in the patch notes, I was rolling out the NPC adjustments bit by bit.  Corvettes were first, then frigates, the next drop will have the cruiser pirates, aliens and trader ships upgraded with the new formula.  Sorry for the slow roll-out but I wanted to get the entry-level mobs tuned to the new system first before tackling the endgame stuff (BTC is no longer using the vanilla system of determining structure/armor/shield based on danger level, but on individual mob data).

Granted, tachs -are- insane damage, but they're overall very low DPS (great burst damage and snipe, but the 3.0 seconds between shots is murder.)

For a better approximation of the power until then, if you're high level, hang out in high-danger space and square off with some of the NPCs there.  Some of them mount weapons like the tachs or fusion beams.  Be especially careful of the Dio XEs with tachs or ptorps if you're in a Hades, given the lack of hull/defenses. :)