Few modding questions, Trails, Missiles

Started by Chalkie, April 06, 2015, 11:11:45 PM

Chalkie

Hi,
I am quite new to modding this game and would like a few questions answered if possible (I did check the wiki prior to this but it has no info on item mods atm)

How do I re-size the trails of missiles?
For example, I have reduced the size of a missiles to 0.5 and now they look a little silly with such a large trail.
Ahhh, the file(s) are located in engine_trails

How are colors calculated? It does not seem to be an RBG as 1;1;1 = white.
Using CMYK it seems??

What is <impulse>?

What is <structure> regarding missiles? Is this the bonus damage to structures or the amount of HP a missiles has?

What is <direction> in regards to weapons

Can weapons be fired as a staggered amount?
Example atm you click the fire button and 1 bullet or 5 bullets fly out at one (depending on the weapon) is it possible to stagger/burst fire to a mouse click fires x amount every x time
Click > Fire > Wait 0.03 > Fire > Wait 0.03 > Fire > Wait 0.03 > Fire > End Of Firing

How does projectile quantity work with damage?
Does it work like quantity X damage = Max damage on 1 target if they all hit?
Or is the quantity more of a visual thing, each one can do X damage per target. For example I launch 3 missiles at once with 10 damage. If they all hit an NPC would the NPC receive 3 x 10 damage or just 10, if it's just 10 would another NPC next to that one also receive 10 damage as well (if within the radius and/or hit by 1 of the 3 missiles?)

What is <homing>?
I understand what it does, just not what the value represents. For example whats the difference between 72 and 360 when it comes to <homing>? Is it the angle it's able to turn?

Thanks guys!

ai_enabled

Hello!

>>Using CMYK it seems??
RGBA, last component is alpha (transparency)

>> impulse
for projectiles - how much impulse will be applied for ships in the explosion area.

>> structure
for missiles - it HP of the missile, so the player can't destroy it too easily with laser.

>> direction
this is angle (in degrees) for the projectile.

>> Can weapons be fired as a staggered amount?
you need to write for each projectile a xml block and set delay for each of them. We're using it for some ballistic weapons and MLRS missiles.

>> Does it work like quantity X damage = Max damage on 1 target if they all hit?
Yes. Exactly.

>> What is <homing>?
I understand what it does, just not what the value represents. For example whats the difference between 72 and 360 when it comes to <homing>? Is it the angle it's able to turn?
Yes, this is an angle-per-second homing speed. The angle is in degrees.

Regards!

Chalkie

Thanks for the quick reply ai_enabled!

Are weapons able to apply certain effects on hit?
For example;
- Removing % or X amount of shield
- Removing % or X amount of hull
- Removing % or X amount of energy
- Stop cruise mode
- EMP effect
- Radiation

Thanks again!

Lurler

Not at the moment, but hopefully in the future.

Pinkeh

well that's handy i was kind of confused about the above variables too.

i couldn't get my original missile launcher to home in on targets, so i changed the behavior to just blanket the target area with multiple warheads. turned out to be more fun although i might go back and tweak it in another mod.