Animals: reality versus casual

Started by Alibaba, March 03, 2020, 06:52:09 AM

Alibaba

(google translated)

I would like to discuss the animal world in the game, because wild animals are the only adversary in PvE games. Yes, and in PvP, you often have to go hunting to complete a quest or score LP points.

I understand that the developers made simplifications to make the player life easier and more enjoyable. And at first I liked the implementation of hunting in the game. Until I got the quest to kill a bear. The most difficult thing was to find him. The bear itself turned out to be plush and there was no difficulty in killing it. This time. Secondly, it turned out that the easiest way to kill a bear from a gun loaded with buckshot. My God, they donΓÇÖt go to a bear with buckshot! A pair of shots with buckshot can not kill a bear. The wounded beast will catch up with the hunter, not allowing him to reload the gun. In the game, the hunter can always retreat and reload the gun.

So, such an embarrassment arises due to 3 reasons:
1. Low speed animals. Absolutely from any beast you can escape.
2. The ability to reload the gun on the run.
3. Most animals do not have an indicator of armor (although armor from their skins has such an indicator).

What to do with speed? After all, if you make the beast faster than a running hunter, then the latter will not be given a chance to escape from the beast. Could it be so brutal and at least the level of speed of some animals should be acted upon with the speed of a running hunter? At the same time, adding armor to large animals (in exchange for armor, you will probably need to reduce the amount of HP) so that buckshot is no longer more effective than jacquin. Jacques, and it is well implemented in the game, has a deterrent in stopping the animal. And this will be one of the countermeasures against high-speed animals.

As for reloading guns on the run, it would be possible to make it 1.5-2 times longer than usual.

Now it takes about 8 rounds of 12 caliber to fill up the bear. I think enough and 4 shots of Jacques and the same 8-10 shots shot. But due to the fact that it takes longer to wait for the recharge and the bear becomes more mobile, it will become more difficult to kill him. The fact that less shots are required, and hence the cost of ammunition, is normal. The amount of experience for a killed bear is the same as for a wild boar, and now you have to do 2.5 times more shots. That is, itΓÇÖs not profitable to go to the bear now.

As for the bear, in reality there is another important factor - this is the fear of the hunter, especially the inexperienced hunter. It would be nice to make fear the same property as poisoning or bleeding. The beast was wounded, he growled (players cannot growl, so fear arises only on the hunt), the hunter got scared and his shooting became not so accurate and fast, and reloading slowed down. With the improvement of the Survival skill, the duration of fear becomes less until its complete absence.

Another feature of the local animals is that they always walk alone. This is characteristic of bears, but not wolves and hyenas. I would like to see the arrangement of animals living in schools in such a way that when one animal appears, there is a high probability of the appearance of exactly the same nearby.

About the night has already been written. At night it is better to sit at home and do not walk around the forest.

And in conclusion, it seems to me better to have the same conditions in both PvP and PvE games, with the exception of one - the playerΓÇÖs attack by the player. That is, if you are killed, then you always lose things. If you spend 3 shots per boar in PvE, then you will spend the same amount in PvP. If you get into a box not surrounded by walls in PvP, then they can do the same in PvE. At first, it was not easy for me to switch from a training PvE to a normal PvP server. There was confusion and I do not recommend playing PvE for educational purposes. In addition, in PvE, due to the absence of property losses, everything is very simple and therefore not interesting.

original message
Хотелось бы обсудить мир животных в игре, ведь дикие животные — это единственный противник в PvE играх. Да и в PvP очень часто приходится выходить на охоту, чтобы выполнить квест или набить очков LP.

Я понимаю, что разработчики пошли на упрощения, чтобы сделать игроку жизнь легче и приятнее. И поначалу мне нравилась реализация охоты в игре. До тех пор, пока мне не выпал квест убить медведя. Самое трудное это было его найти. Сам медведь оказался плюшевым и убить его не составило никакого труда. Это раз. Во-вторых, оказалось, что медведя проще всего убить из ружья, заряжённого картечью. Бог мой, на медведя с картечью не ходят! Парой выстрелов картечью медведя не убить. Раненый же зверь догонит охотника, не позволив тому перезарядить ружьё. В игре же охотник всегда может отступить и перезарядить ружьё.

Итак, такой конфуз возникает вследствие 3 причин:
1. Низкая скорость животных. Абсолютно от любого зверя можно убежать.
2. Возможность перезарядить ружьё на бегу.
3. Большинство зверей не имеют показателя брони (хотя броня из их шкур такой показатель имеет).

Как быть со скоростью? Ведь если сделать зверя быстрее бегущего охотника, то последнему не будет дано шанса сбежать от зверя. Может быть так брутально и следует поступить как минимум уровняв скорость некоторых животных со скоростью бегущего охотника? При этом добавив крупным животным показатель брони (в обмен на броню вероятно потребуется уменьшить количество HP), чтобы картечь больше не была эффективнее жакана. Жакан, и это хорошо реализовано в игре, имеет сдерживающий фактор, останавливая животного. И это будет одна из контрмер против скоростных животных.

Что касается перезарядки ружей на бегу, то можно было бы сделать её в 1.5-2 раза дольше обычной.

Сейчас требуется порядка 8 выстрелов из 12 калибра, чтобы завалить медведя. Я думаю, достаточно и 4 выстрелов жаканом и тех же 8-10 выстрелов дробью. Но из-за того, что дольше придётся ждать перезарядки и медведь станет более подвижный, убить его станет сложнее. То, что потребуется меньше выстрелов, а значит и затрат на патроны, это нормально. Количество опыта за убитого медведя дают такое же как за кабана, а выстрелов сейчас приходится делать в 2.5 раза больше. То есть на мишку ходить сейчас невыгодно.

Что касается медведя, то в реальности есть ещё один немаловажный фактор — это страх охотника, особенно неопытного охотника. Было бы хорошо сделать страх таким же свойством как отравление или истечение кровью. Зверя ранили, он зарычал (игроки рычать не могут, так что страх возникает только на охоте), охотник испугался и его стрельба стала не такой точной, а перезарядка замедлилась. С улучшением умения Survival длительность страха становится меньше вплоть до полного его отсутствия.

Ещё одна особенность у местных тварей, то что они всегда гуляют по одиночке. Это свойственно медведям, но не волкам и гиенам. Хотелось бы увидеть расстановку животных, живущих в стаях таким образом, что при появлении одного животного, есть большая вероятность появления поблизости точно такого же.

Про ночь уже писалось. Ночью лучше сидеть дома и по лесу не разгуливать.

И в заключении, мне кажется, лучше иметь одинаковые условия как в PvP, так и в PvE играх за исключением одного - атаки игроком игрока. То есть если ты убит, то теряешь вещи всегда. Если ты тратишь 3 выстрела на кабана в PvE, то столько же потратишь в PvP. Если к тебе залазят в ящик, не окружённый стенами в PvP, то это же могут сделать в PvE. Мне поначалу нелегко дался переход от тренировочной PvE на нормальный PvP сервер. Возникала путаница и я не рекомендую играть в PvE в обучающих целях. Кроме того, в PvE из-за отсутствия потерь имущества всё очень просто и поэтому неинтересно.

Alibaba

I almost forgot. Another thing I donΓÇÖt like is animals stuck in the obstacles. I understand that when an animal overcomes an obstacle, the displacement vector remains on the target and the animal moves along the obstacle not with its full speed, but with the speed of the projection of the vector onto the axis. First of all, this would have to be fixed, because the game loses much in the eyes of the players because of this trifle. Otherwise, the game is wonderful and I really hope that it will develop further!

Чуть не забыл. Ещё одна вещь которая мне не нравится - застревание животных на препятствиях. Я так понял, что когда животное преодолевает препятствие, то вектор перемещения остаётся на цель и животное движется вдоль препятствия не со своей полной скоростью, а со скоростью проекции вектора на ось. Вот это бы в первую очередь надо поправить, так как игра из-за этой мелочи сильно теряет в глазах игроков. В остальном же игра замечательная и я очень надеюсь, что будет развиваться дальше!

ai_enabled

Hello!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to provide a detailed response. But I want to let you know that we've read this and every other message from you and other players. Thank you for the detailed feedback!

The primary and most obvious problem as you've noticed is that the game currently lacks advanced AI and pathfinding. There are also no creatures with ranged attacks. We understand these becoming more obvious as other features are getting finished and polished. We're planning to work on AI in the near future (here is the detailed roadmap (https://trello.com/b/B5ckffAW/cryofall-development-roadmap)). Some changes will come in the next major update as we will add ranged attacks for certain creatures (necessary for the boss which is also included in the next update). Stay tuned!

Regards!