Recommend a starter ship to stick with a while?

Started by Daehawk, March 16, 2015, 02:24:01 PM

Daehawk

Im just starting out and Ive decided on that first big slow rust bucket of a freighter that hauls 450 cargo. I love to mine. But it doesn't fight well and runs out of energy. Can anyone give me and others starting out some idea on good starting ships to keep a while and upgrade and where to buy perhaps? Though that last part seems kinda random.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Silberspeer

Quote from: Daehawk on March 16, 2015, 02:24:01 PM
Im just starting out and Ive decided on that first big slow rust bucket of a freighter that hauls 450 cargo. I love to mine. But it doesn't fight well and runs out of energy. Can anyone give me and others starting out some idea on good starting ships to keep a while and upgrade and where to buy perhaps? Though that last part seems kinda random.
Well, try to use some common things - move to high-tech system, farm a bit, get you a new ship. Isn't it interesting to discover things by yourself? ;)

RavenFellBlade

You're flying an Endeavor. And it's my favorite starter ship. Later, I tend to upgrade to the Stingray Mk2, which is a light cruiser with 6 device slots, 3 consumables, 650 cargo space, two tracking ballistic slots and one tracking missile battery. She's basically an upgraded Endeavor. It's an excellent mining/engineering vessel. However, you really need to pick a hull that matches your gameplay style. The Endeavor and thing Stingray are both pretty slow and unwieldy without substantial investment in piloting skills to offset their base stats, and those skill bonuses may be more fruitful with a ship already dedicated to fast-paced combat. Decide how you want to play, and pick a hull accordingly. Money is pretty easy to come by, so you should have ample opportunity to experiment with different handling and weapons configurations.
The funny thing about space is that there's actually quite a lot of it.