Cryofall Won't Load

Started by Ifinx, July 28, 2020, 12:00:05 PM

Ifinx

Hey Everyone,

I am back to the forums again. Ugh. I've been playing CryoFall on my Laptop with a server being ran from a Desktop that runs the server.

On my other desktop when I try to play Cryofall I get the following Error:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cannot compile the game scripts

Cannot access the scripts compiler executable. Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Please ensure that the game executables are added into the Windows Defender or antivirus whitelist:
<game installation folder>\Binaries\Client\CryoFall_Client.dll
<game installation folder>\Binaries\Shared\Complier\CryoFall_Compiler.dll

If you have further issues, please contact the tech support
- we're ready to help

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've checked Windows Defender and it's set to allow CryoFall. I've checked my laptop and all the settings are the same, so what could it possibly be?

ai_enabled

Hello.

This is unusual. Please try switching to "netframework472" branch in Steam Client (open the game properties -> "BETAS" tab, dropdown menu there).
If the issue is not resolved please send us the latest few log files from this folder: "<your documents>/AtomicTorchStudio/CryoFall/Logs" our email is support@atomictorch.com

Regards!

Ifinx

Quote from: ai_enabled on July 28, 2020, 12:03:18 PM
Hello.

This is unusual. Please try switching to "netframework472" branch in Steam Client (open the game properties -> "BETAS" tab, dropdown menu there).
If the issue is not resolved please send us the latest few log files from this folder: "<your documents>/AtomicTorchStudio/CryoFall/Logs" our email is support@atomictorch.com

Regards!

Thank you for the quick reply AI_Enabled. I had a update for Windows Defender so I updated that. Reset Windows Defender to Default settings on my Desktop and then restarted my computer. The game seems to be working now.

I did realize I had OneDrive turned off which acts as my "My Documents" folder. Since sync was disabled it makes it wonder if that might have been the issue.

I can send the logs anyway to see where the error really lies if you'd like.

ai_enabled

Windows Defender (and 3rd party antiviruses) are really making our lives hard ha-ha.
I'm not sure what's happened. Please re-send the log files, I don't see the email. Usually, there is no issue with attachments, but maybe it's better to just upload them on Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link.

Enjoy the game!

Ifinx

Here is the logs:  [ https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ykqy2bab5yg8dx5/AADAwha0A7zIHtRqr0W6S1Wka?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ykqy2bab5yg8dx5/AADAwha0A7zIHtRqr0W6S1Wka?dl=0) ]

I hadn't uploaded them earlier.  I ain't sure which log file will be the one, but hopefully one of them can pinpoint it. I'm still leaning toward OneDrive being turned off so it wasn't syncing my "My Document" files.

ai_enabled

Thanks!
From the error log I see an interesting IO exception message "The cloud file provider is not running" (coming from Windows) when the game attempted to access Documents folder. Usually, it's able to switch to %LocalAppData% when that happens but for some reason it didn't switch and in the end it prevented the game from starting properly.
I will try to reproduce the issue and put a proper detecting for this particular case.

Please delete the folder from Dropbox.

Regards!

Ifinx

Quote from: ai_enabled on July 28, 2020, 01:14:57 PM
Thanks!
From the error log I see an interesting IO exception message "The cloud file provider is not running" (coming from Windows) when the game attempted to access Documents folder. Usually, it's able to switch to %LocalAppData% when that happens but for some reason it didn't switch and in the end it prevented the game from starting properly.
I will try to reproduce the issue and put a proper detecting for this particular case.

Please delete the folder from Dropbox.

Regards!

Gotcha, so it was because of OneDrive. On my computer since OneDrive sync with everyone computer you sign into with your Username and Password I had the My Documents folder moved into OneDrive to make that easier so I don't loose important game settings, save files, and such.

The interesting part is that even though OneDrive wasn't running the 'path' to My Documents is still in the OneDrive Installation Directory on the C: Drive which doesn't require internet access to access haha. So I don't understand why it couldn't find it to allow the game to launch.

Anyway, I hope it helps for future builds and patches.

PS: I really do love the game and if I knew more about coding, I'd love to help work on it.