Author Topic: Character Wipe Ability / Option for players to start fresh.  (Read 98 times)

Kane Hart

• View Profile
Character Wipe Ability / Option for players to start fresh.
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:55:31 am »
Hello, I wanted to suggest a feature for a player to be able to wipe / start fresh with their characters.

Now sadly I have not had the opportunity yet to look at the back end so I'm not sure how their stored and this might cause some issues as I'm new to the game and don't know how everything works.

My suggestion is a simple nuke function somewhere in the game UI it can even for now be in say the Current Game Tab maybe a small button at the corner with Delete Character or Wipe Character. With a Extra Window the Pop's Up and Warns the User.

Now this might be challenging since I have no clue what the backend looks like and I have a sad feeling each account has a Unique ID but not random ID created when they join a server... If this the case then I recommend some sort of dump / backup of the current character data then removed from the database.

Because it's a Unique / none changing ID I would sadly leave structures and buildings alone as I would assume that would cause a lot of issues and I also assume it's backed in another file... But if it was not a HARD thing then what I would consider doing is giving it a NPC ID / Faction and let it because sort of an active ruin base, etc.

I really can't help much on the backend and idea's as I have no clue how it works once I get my hands on it in the next update or further down the road I can edit this and give better feedback.

WHY?
Well I'm not sure how long games can go on for but I'm sure you can easily run a no wipe server and the idea you build up and become big and play for months or weeks. Now if you screwed around a lot or want a fresh start it would be awesome. For example I wanted to learn the basics of the game then start fresh and start video's.

There is also maybe having a new name starting fresh maybe you were a jerk or had played with a bad group of people and there could be more for fresh start / name change (another thread).

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Character Wipe Ability / Option for players to start fresh.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 03:20:40 am »
I agree with you 100% regarding this.
Even when there will be multiple servers later and you can just join another one I still feel there has to be an option to start from scratch. So it's certainly on our todo list and we are planning to implemented in one of the future versions (but probably not in A16 yet).

Thank you for the detailed suggestion! :)

As for wipes - yes, eventually we'd like to see servers running for months without wipes, especially official servers.